The McKee Barn, as it is commonly called, is not a historic building as are most of the others at the Madison County Historical Complex. Instead, the barn was built in 1991 with funds from the estate of Elmer Dean McKee (1905-1990) to house a large collection of tools, implements, machinery and farm-related articles.
The barn is 120 feet by 80 feet and has two levels. There is a 90-feet handicapped-accessible ramp to the lower level where a six-inch concrete floor can withstand heavy machinery. There are three overhead doors to help move agricultural equipment in and out, plus ample lighting and ventilation fans.