In 1881, land three miles southeast of Winterset, in Scott Township, was deeded to the congregation of the old Bethel Church which had been deteriorated with age. The 83 members built Zion Union Church. In 1920, Articles of Incorporation were created and it became known as the Zion Federated Church. It was an active church in its rural community until it closed in 1977.
In 1988, Zion moved to the Historical Complex to rest on a newly poured modern basement, that includes a kitchen and restrooms. The entire building is air-conditioned. The church is still used each Sunday by a local congregation and is a favorite spot for weddings.
The church and its basement are available for rental. Click here for rental information.